Monday, June 8, 2009

chitlins con carne

Ha, so much for being productive this summer. My sister and I got The Sims 3, which has been wo(nd)e(r)fully addicting, and has basically taken up the past few days of my life. Aside from its habit of randomly crashing every now and then, it's a pretty good game. As expected, if you liked The Sims 2, you'll like this one.

In other news, YAYYY! Over the past week or two, I'd been working on building a new computer to act as a webserver. It works! You can visit it here: http://e.rabidcentipede.com/ (even though you won't see anything if I turn the computer off.) The next thing I'm trying to do is build a (reaaaally) basic blogging system. I'll let you know if it ever works.

-----

I miss her I miss her I miss her I miss her (this whole not-being-at-school thing might be hard...)

-----

Two of my favorite hobbies are karate and drums. Since I already have a second degree blackbelt in shorinji kempo karate, most of the training I do now is in stickfighting. There is something oddly calming about stickfighting - when Sensei and I are practicing, instinct and reflex take over. I am no longer stressed or bothered by the petty concerns that I normally worry about. I just move with the rhythm - blocking, countering, dodging, striking. I am focused completely on his stick. My arms move on their own, executing the techniques and patterns until they become second-nature. Stepping forwards and backwards, edging to one side or another - it's almost a zen-like state of motion. Drumming is similar - once I get into the beat, my arms and legs take care of themselves. Even though it may seem difficult at first to keep four different limbs moving in four different patterns, it's actually quite easy. If you can get into the right flow, you can stay there with little effort. It just feels... natural.

I don't know. I guess most people think of meditation as something silent and still. But to me, stickfighting and drumming are a form of meditation. Even though they both seem complicated, they are both basically simple patterns and rhythms.

What things do you use as a form of meditation?

"what a sick, masochistic lion"

4 comments:

  1. The long period of time that it takes to fall asleep, you know... staring at the ceiling... that's my meditation period. But also zoning out involuntarily during movies and even conversations. I meditate in the shower, on the bus, and walking from point A to point B. All I do is think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Numba ONE: YAY SIMS! I will have to come over to play now.

    Numb TWO: Meditation is damn cool, yo. As a Hindu...master...thing...I meditate often. It's the traditional cross-legged pose with incense. Stickfighting meditation seriously sounds AWESOME. No joke. Glad you found your place :)

    Given that, I would also say that whenever I am playing either my piano or my cello, that's a sort of meditation for me. No, it'd most definitely a meditation for me.

    Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget who you are.
    Who are you?

    ReplyDelete