Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fear and Uncertainty

Fear and Uncertainty are crippling emotions.

There are things that I should do, want to do, or need to do, and yet... I don't. Why? I'm afraid.

What am I afraid of?

It depends on the situation. But most of the time, I am afraid of failure. I afraid of failing publicly, and being embarrassed or humiliated in front of an untold number of people. I am afraid of failing privately, and having to live with the shame that I was not good enough to succeed.

So I avoid doing difficult things, things that I might easily fail at.

But there are other things too.

I am afraid of other people - of what they think of me. I am afraid of being judged and criticized. I don't want people to think negatively of me, I don't want to be disliked.

So I avoid doing controversial things, and things that might offend people.


And so here I am, stuck on this path of safety. This path of actions that I probably won't fail at, and that I probably won't offend anyone with.

I want to get away.

1 comment: